Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Resurrection

The Crucifixion
Why did the sun his beams conceal

As if unwilling to reveal

That deed of mankind on the day

When Jesus, at the altar, lay

A willing sacrifice.

Earth, too, in terror shook, when

He The Mighty, died on Calvary;

When for our sins He bowed His head,

Gave up the ghost, and quickly sped

To regions of the dead.


And some who had for ages long

Been wrapped in slumber deep and strong,

Awoke, and by their converse showed

That death no more dominion had

In that He died.


Why did He die?

Ah! blissful thought,

When we near death and hell were brought,

He left His father's courts above--

O, list to such amazing love--

And died to save.


Why did He die?

'Twas love divine

That caused Him all things to resign--

A heavenly choir, celestial home,

Exalted seat, seraphic song,

And all to save.


Blest thought! He reigns victorious now,

To whom all earth will shortly bow,

Let men below and saints above

Wonder at such stupendous love,

As caused their God to die.


In all the world;

There is no place

As dear to me

As in an empty tomb within Gethsemane.


Men singing the praises

Of the cross,

And rightly so,

Yet it is to the empty tombI love to go


It's there with Paul I daily die

When sore oppressed,

It's there, where men are loathe to go

I sweetly rest.


It's there, when heart ache'sangry waves envelop me,

In Faith,

I lift my mournful face

My Lord to see.


There is no place so fraught with power

Our souls to save,

As is our Lord's last resting place,

His empty grave.


In darkest hours of grief,

beside a new made mound,

I go again, the depths of God's

Great love to sound.

And while I view the grave and clothes,

The echoes ring:

"O, Grave, where is they victory"

O, Death, thy sting?"

As, one by one, the loved ones cross

the threshold's gloom,

I fain believe, embrace, receive,

The Empty Tomb.

by Mary D. Sammons from

"Streams in the Desert 2"

No comments: