Friday, October 1, 2010

October Down syndrome Awareness month

Grab This Button

October is Down syndrome awareness month and I will be trying to blog every day this month to let everyone know how wonderful children and adults with Down syndrome are.I hope my blog already does that but for this month I will be taking the challenge to post something every day.

Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes.People with Down syndrome have an extra chromosome on their 21st pair.That means they have an extra chromosome in all the cells in their body.This is what causes the many different characteristics of people with Down syndrome.The word chromosome is a Greek word,"chromo " means color and "soma" means body.


                                            Karyotype of someone with Down syndrome

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I posted Lily's chromosome analysis today and I just realized how very different it is from the typical Trisomy 21.
With her translocation her third 21st chromosome just flipped on top the second one.
Very interesting!

Emily said...

Happy Down syndrome awareness month to you! I hope to be a better blog friend... I've been horrible!

Cathy said...

Happy Ds Awareness Month. I look forward to reading your posts this month.

Emily said...

P.S. I wish I would have noticed sooner... but you have my old blog address on your friends list that shows some man and Honda. Not me :)

Cheryl said...

OOPS!! Thanks Emily :)